How to succeed as a new lawyer – Hang out your shingle!!!
This blog provides some basic things that I think will help any new lawyer succeed after they pass they bar, and when they want to “hang out their own shingle” (which is the only real way to live anyway – building your own brand and earning what you are worth).
Here we go
Here is our easy 1,2,3 of social media marketing for new lawyers. Check it out!!!
FIRST – YOU HAVE TO PICK YOUR SUPER-NICHE!
For example, our firm made a decision in this area:
Insurance Lawyers (broad) – Denial of Life Insurance Benefits (niche) – two year contestability clauses (sub-niche). The riches are in the niches.
Do you see how this works? If you don’t understand. Stop and think about it for a bit.
SECOND – get a great domain name for your firm using either your firm name (ex. JonesLaw.com) or superniche name (ex. LifeInsuranceDenial.com). Our firm is big on representing persons who are victims of “financial elder abuse.” To accomplish our law firms objectives, we secured the domain name FinancialElderAbuse.com for $300.
Let’s break this legal “superniche” down:
Personal injury lawyer (broad) – Elder Abuse (niche) – Financial Elder Abuse (superniche)
Do not be afraid to “invest” in a good domain name, and I recommend ONLY a .com name. Not to say the .net or .tv. or .attorney or .lawyer might not be good, but .com has established industry and commercial recognition.
THIRD, start generating the content (general legal information and analysis). Show your personality off. Everyone has one, find your voice and use it.
Here are some ideas of what you can talk about:
1. Explain statutes (ex. the insurance code, financial elder abuse in regard to insurance agents, etc.)
2. Provide relevant case briefs
3. Break the news in this area (you can setup google alerts to make this easy)
4. Provide tips and strategies for consumers. In our example above, “how to deal with insurance companies”
5. Don’t let up. Just because there are millions of blogs out there, do not give up. Just keep blogging and building your legal authority in your super-niche area.
6. Take all of the above and figure out interesting videos you can make. Without a KILLER youtube channel, your chances of success in the practice of law (unless you are great at podcasting) in my opinion will be diminished. You need killer content that people can easily digest in their preferred formats.
Do you offer social media consulting for new lawyers?
Latest posts by Vondran Legal - Business, Real Estate, Insurance, Technology & Civil Litigation Counsel (see all)
- Did your company receive an email about an “Autodesk Software Review” - February 20, 2017
- Malibu Media Lawsuit Updates – Defendant wins! - February 14, 2017
- “Back off buddy” – Intentional interference with prospective economic relations under California law explained - February 1, 2017
- Did Trump sue Alec Baldwin for $445 billion for Copyright Infringement? - January 28, 2017
- ADA Website Accessibility Compliance Litigation on rise in Arizona? - January 25, 2017