ZipCounsel – sale or transfer of a business, website, or domain name!
Let’s be honest, it’s a tough economy. New jobs are not being created at lightning speed, and working for corporate america (that is seeking to hire low cost college graduates) is not what it used to be. It’s a jungle. So for many people buying an existing business or website (and sometimes just trying to buy and sell – “flip” – a domain name can be an attractive option. These types of transactions aren’t getting any less complex just because the economy is on the fritz. There are legal pitfalls to every transaction with other individuals and business owners. We understand the average company still needs legal services to guide them in the sale of business transaction, but we are also well aware that paying five or ten thousand dollars (or worse yet getting a shocking legal bill) is not something anyone looks forward to. We are here to help you with low-cost responsive legal services that helps you reach your business objectives.
Typical fact scenario
“I want to buy a website that is ranking really well on google and has a good facebook, twitter, pinterest, and youtube account, but I want to make sure I pay a fair price and I don’t want to send all the money over before I have a chance to review everything before I send over the full balance of the purchase price. I also want to make sure I get all the intellectual property rights and that there are no loose ends on the transaction, but I also don’t want some stuffy law firm double or triple billing me costing me an arm and a leg to acquire the business, trademarks and making sure the legal issues are covered. I would prefer some type of attorney escrow service so I can pay the seller only when I am satisfied with my due diligence review.
If this sounds like your situation, you need ZipCounsel, (our innovative suite of legal services designed to help you succeed in your business). With our business buy-sell service, we do as much as you need, or as little as you need and all at a price you can afford – $125/per hour. An initial retainer is required.
Potential legal issues that may arise when you buy or sell a company or domain name
1. Are you getting what you paid for?
2. Does the domain name have any real value?
3. Are you acquiring the trademarks and copyrights (i.e. the intellectual property owned by the Seller)?
4. Will the seller retain any intellectual property rights?
5. Are any assignments of trademark needed?
6. Is the seller engaged in any lawsuits that you will be “buying into”?
7. Will the contract (purchase and sale agreement) hold up in Court?
8. Will buying the domain name set me up for a UDRP domain name dispute with another company?
9. How can I protect my money so that I don’t transfer my domain name to a buyer in another company who might stiff me?
10. How can I be sure that the transaction is in my best interest?
These are just some of the legal issues that can arise in the purchase or sale of a business, including a traditional business, and even more common, a web-based or home business? We can help you with Attorney escrow and legal services to make sure the purchase and sale of the business are in your best interest, and that you are legally protected. We do this at a fair and reasonable price that you can afford, and in fact, you cannot afford to go without.
We can serve as escrow in your transaction
Before you part with your hard earned cash and layout out thousands of dollars for an internet business, website, or even if you are just purchasing a domain name, you need to use an escrow service to make sure your rights are protected before you agree to funds transfer. Our law firm can protect your legal rights as a buyer or a seller, and we can serve as escrow in your transaction with the agreement of all parties. Third party escrow services can also be used independently of our legal services.
We do as much or as little as you need
As attorneys, we are just like our business clients – we need a return on our investments and need to make money. Yet, we are also able to work on your terms, and help guide you through your legal situations and help you buy or sell the business, domain or web properties at a minimal cost. We can work on the things you need us for, and you can handle the items you feel competent to handle. We can review your work and make sure you are addressing the legal issues that need to be addressed. We are not opposed to you saving some money for routine items such as trying to work out a deal with the buyer or seller or getting a contract started. We look at legal services as a chance to “partner” with you to accomplish your objectives. We know if we can help you without breaking the bank, that you will come back and use us again, or recommend our ZipCounsel services to others.
Other legal services we can help you with
We thrive with business law issues. Through our ZipCounsel product line, we can help you with the basic legal issues that arise in most business ventures:
- Drafting, reviewing and negotiating contracts
- Forming a corporation, partnership or LLC
- Non-disclosure agreements
- Work for hire agreements
- Trademark and copyright registration
- UDRP domain name disputes
- Business arbitration
- Commercial lease review (before you agree to a three or five year lease, make sure you know what you are getting into)
- Intellectual property law
- eCommerce law (website terms of service, privacy policies)
- Social media marketing consulting
- Internet sweepstakes and promotions
- Assignment of trademarks
This is a short list of potential legal issues.
Call us to discuss your business needs and to get a price quote. In many cases we can set a flat rate legal fee so there are no surprises as far as legal bills are concerned.
Call to book us for the sale of your business or domain name
If you are ready to get started call one of our internet & business lawyers at (877) 276-5084. You can also fill out the contact form below. We have low initial retainers and we are ready to get started on your project.
Latest posts by Vondran Legal - Business, Real Estate, Insurance, Technology & Civil Litigation Counsel (see all)
- What type of proof do you need to show software license compliance? - January 18, 2017
- How Harry Houdini used copyright to build his fortune and fame - January 14, 2017
- Unauthorized commercial use of model photos on facebook can lead to right of publicity win - January 8, 2017
- Linda’s Lyrics “Dash Poem” Copyright Infringement, seriously? Yep. - January 7, 2017
- SOFTWARE INFRINGEMENT QUESTIONNAIRE - December 30, 2016