California real estate compliance – the “surprise visit”
The BRE has expansive investigative authority to monitor real estate licensees for compliance in the state of California. This blog discusses the “Broker office survey” and what you can do to prepare for this.
What happens at a Broker Office Survey
The California Bureau of Real Estate (“CalBRE”) has legal authority to show up at a broker’s place of business, including branch offices UNANNOUNCED to review specific transactional issues and to review certain transactional documents to evaluate whether or not a broker is in compliance with the real estate laws, rules and regulations. The broker office surveys do not normally involve “trust fund accounting” however, is something pops up that triggers an issue over compliance, a formal property management or trust fund accounting audit could be requested.
We can help brokers prepare for these possible visits by providing annual broker self compliance surveys where our firm will go through a detailed checklist to make sure you are in compliance with the real estate rules BEFORE you get the dreaded knock on the door.
How our law firm can help you
We can help your real estate brokerage stay in compliance with:
1. Corporation good standing review
2. Branch office compliance
3. Business card compliance
4. Advertising review
5. Compliance with mortgage, business opportunity, property management, or residential or commercial real estate matters
6. Due diligence checklists
7. Trust fund accounting training
8. Annual sexual harassment training (yes, this is a BRE requirement most brokers pay no attention to)
9. Consulting regarding compliance with the broker’s duty to supervise
10. Creation of custom policies and procedures manuals
11. Partnership agreements and custom independent contractor agreements
12. Website audits (privacy, terms of service review, GLB compliance, ADA compliance)
13. Transactional checklists
14. Startup services for new California real estate brokers
15. Other issues your company needs
Contact us by filling out the form below for more information.
Contact a BRE compliance law firm
For more information about our real estate services, (which include audits, accusations, investigations, subpoena response, broker office surveys, statement of issues with DBO or BRE, removal of license restrictions, or real estate mediation/arbitration) contact us at (877) 276-5084 or fill out the form below to have one of our real estate lawyers contact you, normally within the hour. We are proud to offer FLAT RATE FEES for many of our legal services.
Latest posts by Vondran Legal - Business, Real Estate, Insurance, Technology & Civil Litigation Counsel (see all)
- Can you copyright a signature yoga pose or choreographed dance move? - February 24, 2017
- Did your company receive an email about an “Autodesk Software Review” - February 20, 2017
- Malibu Media Lawsuit Updates – Defendant wins! - February 14, 2017
- “Back off buddy” – Intentional interference with prospective economic relations under California law explained - February 1, 2017
- Did Trump sue Alec Baldwin for $445 billion for Copyright Infringement? - January 28, 2017